Quick Tip Friday: Know Your Competition
There is plenty of room for us all in the great wide Internet, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a certain amount of competition for eyeballs and time. Think about who your blog is written for and what information they would come to you to find. Then, go out and find 3-5 bloggers who write the same topics for the same people. Try to find a range of blogs in terms of size and popularity. As your browse, take note of the following:
- Does this blog have more readers than yours or less?
- Are the readers engaging with the blog via comments?
- How does the layout and style of the blog appeal to you? Is it easy to navigate?
- How does the writing style compare to yours?Is it clear who the audience is? Do you think it’s easier to relate to or more difficult? Why?
- How often does this blog update? How much do they use their social media channels?
- Does this blog use long or short posts, or a combination? Do they do a lot of giveaways? Use a lot of images?
- Do the author or authors seem knowledgeable about the subject matter?
Looking at other, similar blogs can help you think about the success of your blog. Look at your own site and ask yourself the same questions. What can you learn from your “competition?” What can they learn from you?